Friday, October 18, 2013

Assignment 7

1. What problems does the article mention that children run into when they use search engines?
Some of the problems that children face when using the internet are that they can't find what they are looking for. Children express themselves differently than adults, and so they do not have the same search skills as adults. For instance, children may write the whole question on the search bar instead of just writing clues or keywords.


2. What suggestions have been offered for how search engines can improve their product to lessen children’s problems searching?
Through children, engineers have found problems that not only children face but adults as well. They thought it would be easier if they introduce related searches. With that, you can add to what you are searching. Also, queries such as videos, pictures, or news.


3. Do you search using keywords or questions? How does the article characterize these two types of searching?
I usually type in keywords when I'm doing research. However, if I do type in a question Yahoo Answers and Ask.com usually come out, and those aren't websites you can really rely on. Therefore, I always try to use keywords so that reliable websites can come out and not websites like wikianswers.


4. Have you tried using images or videos to search? How does the article characterize this type of searching?
No, I've never searched for information with pictures. When I research, I just use keywords  to find information on my topic through Google. If I need to find an image, that's when I use Google images.

5. What advice would you give to Internet search engine developers (like Google or Bing) for how they should improve their product? Do you think any of the improvements mentioned in the article are particularly promising? Why?
I believe they are efficient because we can see that some of these methods are already being used such as the voice control or the video searches and they have been very helpful. For instance, the voice recognition has been helpful for when you can't type. However, at times it doesn't understand what you're saying. Therefore that can improvement.



No comments:

Post a Comment